Thursday, June 9, 2011

Korean Packing List: My opinion on the must-brings and unnecessary items


This blog is materializing out of the sheer fact that I am BORED OUT OF MY MIND, rather than having something to update you all on. I have been meaning to blog about what to bring and not to bring to Korea. Why? I love lists AND I spent countless hours (as did others I know) scouring over blogs, sites and forums over peoples lists of what to bring and what not to bring, to Korea. If you have ever traveled with me, or seen my packing, you know I DONT travel lightly. One would think that after 23 countries and years of being in physical pain from TOO MUCH SHIT, I would learn. But, I dont. Instead, I always hear Kristina or my sister telling me to get rid of my shit or telling me I dont need the 4th bottle of shampoo, I can buy it there. So, anyways, here it goes. But, remember, this is just my opinion on the topic! Other people (especially guys) may have very different opinions!

Here are some things I brought, because I was told they are impossible or very difficult to find in Korea:

1.)    Tampons (Read that Korean women dont use them/they are really hard to find)
2.)    Vitamins (Read they are impossible to find)
3.)    American toothpaste (Read/was told that it tastes like ass here)
4.)    American gum (Same as above/loses its flavor quickly)
5.)    Spices (Spices are very different here, so bring your favorites from home)
6.)    Favorite tea (same as spices)
7.)    Light colored face make-up (Koreans have different colored skin)
8.)    Birth control (in its various forms) (Read this will be hard to find/you will meet wrath at the Pharmacist for birth control)
9.)    Bras/underwear for a year (Korea doesnt have American sizes if you are bigger than a B cup)
10.) Enough clothes for a year (Pretty much if you arent anorexic, bring clothes)
11.) Shoes for a year (Westerners feet are bigger than Koreans)
12.) Lotions (Was told/read most lotions here have whiteners)
13.)  Deodorant for a year (was told it is impossible to find here)

Ok! About half of above I would bring, half I wouldnt.

First on the list: Tampons. Say what? These are EVERYWHERE. Costco has many American brands. If I can find them at the corner mart in my little Podunk Jochiwon, you can find them ANYWHERE. Enough said. Ladies, they weigh nothing, but you can get them here, dont fret.

Vitamins: Costco has all the vitamins/supplements that I brought. The same brand (Kirkland) in fact. Had I known this, I most definitely would NOT have brought these. Why? Do you know how much space a years worth of daily vitamins and Fish oil pills takes up? Lets not even talk about weight. I probably had about five pounds in vitamins. Get a Costco card; it will be your friend. Unless you take some strange ass pill, it is probably here in Korea. They are all about health.

American toothpaste/gum: I would bring this again. BUT, you can find it in foreigner markets and at Costco, though it is very expensive. It doesnt take up a lot of space/weight, so this one can stay or go. I would bring it, because of the cost here. I am NOT a fan of Korean Xylitol (the gum, that isnt mint flavored) or the funky toothpaste.

Spices: If you plan on cooking (I cook almost everyday, most people here dont). I would say bring spices because they dont weigh much. I have so far found almost everything here in foreigner markets or at Costco, but for a significant price. I brought a few with me and would probably do so again.

Favorite tea: I am a tea drinker and most Korean tea is made with rice (yuck!). If you are a fan of British teas (what I drink) you can find it at Costco or Homeplusbut they weigh nothing and are more expensive here. So, if there is space, I would throw them in!!

Light colored face make-up: You can find it here. It is more expensive. They have lots of Western products (I.e. Clinique) but for an exorbitant cost. You can get face make-up at local places though for about what you would pay at home. No need to bring a years supply like I did.

Birth Control: Depending on what you use, this may change things. The pill is readily (and cheaply) available here without a prescription from a pharmacist. Though I have never gotten it here (I brought it or have had it sent), I have been told it is in the $5-7 range per pack. Although it is probably worth mentioning that some of the girls I have talked to have gotten some awkward grunts and disapproving stares from the male pharmacists. Anything else more specific (Nuva, patch etc...) I would probably bring. Supposedly Korean condoms dont fit guys. I cant offer advice on that one! Other than every guy (Western) guy saying they are too small! But, you can find Western brands at E-mart (like Wal-Mart).

Bras/underwear for a year: Yes, absolutely, 100% stock up on that shit before leaving! If you are bigger than a B cup you will NOT find bras here. If they exist, I havent found them. Costco carries many of the same bra packs Costco in the states carries, but only up to the B size. Underwear: It is ugly, poor quality and weird material. AND my washing machine destroys my shit (especially the delicates) so stock up!!!

Enough clothes: Unless you are very large (speaking for females here, not sure about guys, I imagine tall and/or very large guys have issues). You are fine. There is GAP, Forever 21, H&M, Zara and other places in the bigger cities where you will find clothes with no problem. You wont be shopping at your local underground place easily if you arent a stick, but you wont be running around naked here. No worry to bring everything you need for a year. Evidence? My shopping trip to H&M last weekend!!

Shoes for a year: Unless you have really large feet as a woman (or maybe guys have more of an issue) you will never have problems. However, Korean shoes are very narrow. But, you can get western brand shoes at all the big stores in bigger cities and at Costco. No worries here.

Lotions (body/face): Sunscreens and face lotions, I would say bring them. Most I have seen have a whitener in it. So, unless you like looking like Casper, bring your own. For body lotion, there are plenty here that dont have whitener. Costco carries the same double Aveeno pack that I brought here with me! More expensive of course, but those things were freaking heavy and took up a lot of space!!

Deodorant: Yes, it is very hard to find here. Koreans dont really wear it (but yes, they have BO, the smell is starting to appear with the warmer weather, blech). I have seen mens deodorant (but in very limited quantities and for a lot of money) in random places and foreigner markets, but havent seen womens deodorant. I brought enough for a year, I would recommend doing the same!! That is one item you really dont want to be without!!

Something I wasnt told to bring/didnt read anywhere about, was face wash. That shit is EXPENSIVE here. I have no idea why. Probably because stores carry primarily Western face washes (I.e.: Clearasil, Neutrogena etc) but OMG, it is very expensive. I havent bought any here yet because I brought two with me, but that is something I would defiantly add to the list!

Also, medicine. MEDICINE! MEDICINE! MEDICINE! Bring cold medicine!!!! I brought some, but I wasnt prepared for the way Korea would ravage my poor body and immune system. Thankfully, I have people that love me and send me medicine from home, because Korean cold medicine SUCKS and doesnt work. I would (If I ever did this again, LOL) go to Costco and bring two or three Costco size boxes of Dayquil/Nyquil pills. Seriously. Cough drops (Halls) are everywhere, so no need for those. Benadryl, cold meds, Excedrinhavent found it here. Didnt bring nearly enough for a year, and have since had lots of it sent over.

Hand Sanitizer: It is here but VERY expensive. I would say it is about 3x the price you would pay in the states. A pump style bottle that might run you $3 or so at home, I paid around $12 for and it was ON SALE! Little mini ones are $3-4. I dont understand why, probably because it hasnt caught on here yet. I am now a freak about using this stuff since I work in a school and am always sick. Bring it! I would have replaced the lotion with bottles of sanitizer, lol.

English books: I am an avid reader. I didnt bring a lot of books over (due to weight), but I have found everything I have wanted here. There are multiple English bookstores in Korea, so you can really find anything.

There were only a few things I was told specifically to NOT bring. That was hair appliances: Hair dryer, straightener, curling iron etc Why? I was told that even with a converter they tend to short out. I have had friends use their American straighteners and hair dryers abroad that shorted even with an adapter, but I decided to risk it. Well, guess what happened? The very first time I plugged my straightener in (with an adapter AND converter!!!) it sparked and died ) : I havent tried my curling iron because I am afraid of what will happen. I didnt bring a hair dryer because they take up too much space. I bought a good straightener for like $25, they are everywhere. Leave the hair appliances at home!

Something I brought, but a lot of other people I know didnt bring, are converters/adapters. Maybe it is because I have traveled a lot and know you need them, but once in another country, finding the adapters you need is quite difficult. It isnt impossible, but they are MUCH more expensive and really hard to find. I came with an international set for traveling and such. I use my Korean one everyday for my laptop! So, be sure to pack those before coming over.

I think that is about it. I am sure there are a million other things, but that will have to do it for today.

I promise to have a real update soon! Not much to report here, same old same old!

Miss all you who are stateside or in other countries!!

Love,

Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment